Monday 15 April 2013

REVIEW- Nivea BB Cream

With summer on the way (PLEASE, please say summer is finally on the way?!) it's time to put away those heavy-duty lotions and potions in favour of something a bit, well, lighter.

I have been on the look-out for a drugstore BB cream that lives up to my (not even very high) standards for a while.

I just want something that, essentially, does what it says on the tin.

But every time, they fall short of my expectations.

And the biggest downfall is always the colour.

I just don't get how drugstore foundations have really accelerated in recent years, with a good range of colours.
And yet BB creams don't seem to have got beyond 'light' 'medium' and 'dark'.
I know we're talking high street, so we can't expect miracles. But there are some really great drugstore products out there. So surely it wouldn't take too much to add in a few shades that might actually suit anyone who isn't an Oompa Loompa?

Unfortunately, the 'colour problem' is the one and only downfall of this Nivea BB Cream.

I picked it up in Tesco for a ridiculously cheap price- literally about £2. I bought it for my holiday because (knowing already about the 'colour problem') I thought once tanned, the light shade might just be okay.

*Sorry it's a bit messy- a sign it's been tested well, eh?

What It Says-

5in1 Beautifying Moisturiser
  • Evens
  • Covers 
  • Illuminates
  • Moisturisers 
  • Protects your skin
Instantly perfect looking skin with minerals, ProVitaminB5 & a hint of colour. SPF 10.
    

First of all, SPF, so that's good. Because I am ageing at a ridiculous pace, I can't go out of the house without one. But SPF 10 just won't make the grade

This is definitely moisturising, yes. It has a really nice texture, is creamy and smells nice. 

Unfortunately a 'hint of colour' is a bit of a hint of a lie. 

Because, unless your natural skin shade can be likened to 'red brick', this is just way too dark. 

As I said, I was tanned when I applied this (just with fingers, nothing fancy) and at first I thought mmmm not too bad. 
But by the middle of the day, when I made the mistake of looking in the mirror, I JUST. LOOKED.DREADFUL. 

My shiny face, with concealer having run for its life, had an orange tinge that made me look about 50. The product had settled in to my pores and highlighted my wrinkly bits. 

Which is a real shame, because everything about this product is great. The price, the formula, the way it looks on the skin when first applied (and vigorously blended). 

But at the end of the day, what's the most important feature of a product you put on your face? 

The colour. 




As you can see, it gives a really nice illuminating finish. Unfortunately this doesn't last.

Review by Numbers

Did it live up to it's promises?-3/5.It is moisturising and illuminating and when first applied, it does blur imperfections. But that just doesn't last.

Packaging- 3/5- They give you a generous amount of product for the price, but the bottle itself isn't particularly eye catching.

Value for money- 3/5-£2 for a good BB cream is a bargain. Unfortunately you will only think this if you're an oompa loompa.

Recommend to a friend? Yes. IF they improved their shade range. As it stands right now, I just couldn't.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment