Monday 13 May 2013

Maybelline Vivid Colors in Shocking Coral

Back in February (ahh, the promise of a new year...all the things I swore I'd have achieved by now...) I was really excited to get my hands on this lipstick.
It was super-hyped up, featured in all my favourite magazines.
I thought it'd be a dead cert for Valentines night (turns out I wore a different lipstick) and an essential coming in to spring (turns out spring looked like the back end of a bad winter).

Lo and behold, I did what most of us bloggers are guilty of (let's face it, that's true) and after the initial excitement wore off, this went in my ridiculous make-up collection and never came back out.
Well, it got to the point where enough was enough.
I like to pretend I lead a glamourous life to all of you on the other side of the screen, but being honest, I've got bills to pay and a dodgy gearbox that needs sorting.
So something's got to give. And unfortunately, that has to be my personal grooming bill.
No, I'm not saying I'm going to start skimping on showers and forgetting the deodorant.
But I mean the Boots hauls have got to take a back seat for a while.
So I've decided to shop my stash instead.
And whilst doing that, I rediscovered my Shocking Coral Maybelline Vivid Color lipstick.

So what do I think?

Well, it's more coral than I expected.
Which sounds ever so stupid, considering it's called 'Shocking Coral'.

This is very creamy and very wearable and doesn't dry out the lips. However, I think I'd prefer it a little more matte because this has a tendency to slip (hence the reason it was not chosen for Valentine Day...)
Pair this with a lip liner and blot like there's no tomorrow if you too prefer the matte look.
Worn that way, this does go down well as a nice stain. 
In terms of the whole 'vivid' selling point...yes, this is 'vivid'. But is it set apart in terms of shocking colour from any of the other bright lipsticks I've tried?...mmm not really.

In fact, as far as my eyes can tell, this is pretty similar to L'oreal Color Riche lipstick in 371. Which I love.
I saw it on Cheryl Cole on the cover of Glamour May 2011 (don't ask how I remember that) and I was like..yes, yes, you will be mine.
Shocking Coral is perhaps a little more, well, Shocking Coral.
But if you already have the L'oreal in your collection, you might not want to splash out another £8.
Left- Shocking Coral
Right- L'oreal Color Riche in 371

Will I be buying any more of the Vivid Colors collection in the future?
I can't lie to you- probably.
The formulation is nice, the colour pay-off is great..
Every time I'm in Boots I have a little swatch of Fuchsia Flash and think 'what if...'
But for now, my money is staying firmly in my pocket. And my hands are rifling through my already ridiculous collection on the look-out for more dupes....





No comments:

Post a Comment